Key features for 2018
Technology Trend Setters Panel
The ability to harness new technologies is the differentiator between successful and unsuccessful refiners and producers, especially true for Europe’s players.
Technology is the gateway to captured valued, higher efficiency, boosted margins, and leaner, smarter operations.
At this November’s ERTC we gather the best technology pioneers to address the best in pioneering technologies during our Technology Trend Setters Panel.
John Gugel, President and CEO, Honeywell UOP
Jean Sentenac, Chairman/CEO, Axens SA
Chris Birdsall, President, ExxonMobil Catalysts and Licensing LLC
Andy Gosse, President, Shell Catalysts and Technology Licensing
Leaving you poised for action and growth John, Jean, Chris and Andy will discuss the technology trends high on the industry’s agenda including:
• How to maximise middle distillates through the latest configuration and conversion technologies
• The latest integration and new routes to olefins offerings to allow you to expand your petrochemical production capacity and transform naphtha and diesel into more valuable products
• Clear pathways to co-processing and alternative fuel production
• Digitalisation as the direct enabler of enhanced productivity and competitiveness
• Keys to profitability, sustainability and compliance through the latest in catalyst advancements
BP’s Energy Outlook – Your opportunity to step back from the here and now
Due to popular demand, and in response to our delegates’ feedback, we bring you an industry renowned energy outlook.
Head of Refining Analysis, Richard de Cauz brings us BP’s Energy Outlook in the context of the downstream industry.
Providing an opportunity to step back from the here and now, Richard will offer short, medium and long term lessons and insights about where energy is heading over the next few decades, including:
• The share of vehicle kilometres powered by electricity increases
• China and India account for half of the growth in global energy demand
• Demand for oil and other liquid fuels grows over much of the Outlook
Providing a useful contribution to your own discussions and thinking, Richard’s session during this year’s ERTC Day 1 plenary is not one to be missed.
Total La Mède Refinery: A forward-looking facility
The ability to produce biofuels and the security of renewable feedstock is likely to play a crucial role in the survival of EU refineries amongst upcoming EU environmental legislation.
As one of Europe’s largest biorefineries comes into operation this summer, Total’s Project Director of La Mède Refinery Francis Parmentier headlines our day two plenary providing exclusive insight on the first world-class facility of its type in France.
Beyond Francis’ session, this year’s agenda includes additional insights and content on biofuel advances, co-processing and alternative fuel production from Concawe, UniPetrol, Eni & FCA Group.
Each year we continue to look at the guidelines and scoring of papers for ERTC, increasing the criteria surrounding commercial content, practicality, and originality.
The most co-presentations to date!
We continue to encourage co-presented case studies that demonstrate the practical application and benefits of technologies in action.
Year on year this November’s agenda features more, with 7 technical co-presented case studies giving you a clearer understanding of how a technology can be successfully applied in your refinery or plant, as well as the experiences of your peers who have used these technologies.
• Total Antwerp OPTARA Project – Revamping of an ARDS Unit into a Mild Hydrocracking Unit
– Axens & Total
• New Fuel Formulations for Sustainable Mobility
– ENI & FCA Group
• Dynamic Optimisation Moves into the Mainstream
– AspenTech & CEPSA
• A Different Approach to Refinery Technical Service
– InSite Technical Services & North Atlantic Refining Limited
• Optimized Heavy Fuel Oil Production Through Asphaltenes Stability Control, Blending and Additives – The IMO2020 Perspective
– BHGE & CEPSA
• Overcoming Problems with a Pellet Style SCR DeNOx Unit in an SMR Furnace
– Umicore Denmark, ApS & Chevron
• Implementation of Aspen Mtell to improve Plant Availability at SARAS Refinery
– SARAS & AspenTech
• Heide Refinery – Path of Continuous Improvement
– UOP & Heide Refinery
Lots of French flare
We have an impressive line-up of Total speakers including Christophe Vuillez, SVP, Strategy, Development & Research, Jean Viallefont, Vice President, Polymers Europe, and Francis Parmentier, Project Director, La Mède Refinery.
A global speaker panel
S-Oil’s CEO Othman Al-Ghamdi provides an international perspective on how they are capitalising on growing petrochemical demand locally in Asia and internationally.
With the refining industry all too often being blamed for the environmental damage it causes, we’ve brought in activist lawyers ClientEarth to offer an alternative perspective for the downstream industry.
The Big Debate
The rise of EVs and threat that they pose to the future of refining is no doubt a contentious topic. Two teams have the opportunity to argue their case and contest their opposition’s claims in response to the motion: “This House believes that there is No Future for the Internal Combustion Engine”.
Taking the Pulse
This fully interactive session will see you vote in a series of polls addressing today’s hottest topics! Experts from Equinor, MOL, Grupa Lotos will be on hand for quick-fire comments on the results of your views.